Black pepper is used as a spice to add flavors to foods as well a medicine due to its medicinal properties. It helps to promote weight loss, relives cold and cough, improves digestion, treats skin problems and increases metabolism. It contains antibacterial properties and also good anti-inflammatory agents therefore you can use it to preserve food as well.
It is a rich source of minerals like calcium, iron, copper, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. It also contains vitamin C, B6, and K. It contains a decent amount of carbohydrate and protein as well as dietary fiber.
There are various health benefits associated with black peppers, some of them are mentioned hereunder:
- Improves digestion: it stimulates the stomach and helps to digest protein. Therefore add a pinch in your food to digest food faster.
- Promotes weight loss: increases metabolism also helps to get rid of toxins and excess water from your body. Its outer layer contains phytonutrients that helps to break down fat cells.
- Relives cough & cold: it works like an antibiotic due to antibacterial properties therefore helps to cure cold and cough. Take a teaspoon of organic honey with a pinch of freshly crushed pepper to get immediate relief.
- Treats skin: it improves blood circulation and provides more oxygen to skin. Add it to your food to treat skin wrinkles. Take a tablespoon of organic honey and a pinch of finely ground pepper mix it well and apply it to skin.
- Treats depression: helps to make brain more active and function properly therefore add it in your diet to treat depression.
- Prevents cancer: its antioxidant properties help to remove harmful free radicals from body and protect from cancers.
- Improves intestinal health: contains substances that help to prevent formation of intestinal gas.
- Lowers blood pressure: helps to control or even lower the blood pressure if used on a regular basis.
- Improves oral health: contains antibacterial properties that help to relieve toothache and improves gums health.
- Improves concentration: contains zinc and magnesium, which improve concentration and fertility.
- Helps cure diabetes: it helps to lower blood sugar when you use it on a regular basis.
- Helps treat dandruff: take a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, blend it in a cup of yogurt and apply on scalp then wash out after 30 minutes of applying to get rid of dandruff.
Black peppers are available in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy it try to select organically grown one and is of good quality. They are available in whole, crushed or ground in powder. It is wise if you buy them whole and grind at home before using in the recipe. You need to store them in an airtight glass jar at a cold and dry place. You can add it into various dishes like pasta, soups, fried rice, curries and salads.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.