Blueberries are one of the super foods due to its antioxidant properties. They are rich in vitamin K and also contain vitamin C, fiber and Manganese. Blueberries contain about 85% water and a full cup contains 84 calories therefore it is called low calorie food.
Blueberries contain medicinal properties like improve heart health, protect from some cancers and also boost concentration and memory. The antioxidant properties help improving immune system and also protect from damage caused by free radicals. Blueberries improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood sugar.
Health benefits of Blueberries
You can eat Blueberries raw or add them to fruit salads and custards. Its powder is also used in shakes and smoothies. Here are the health benefits of Blueberries:
- Contain substances that prevent from infections in the urinary tract and also prevent bacteria binding to the urinary tract.
- Help improving insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels therefore add them in your diet to maintain your blood sugar.
- Contain Vitamin K that help improving bone health, lower blood pressure as well as help lowering the risk of stroke.
- Antioxidant properties help removing toxins from the body and reduce arthritis pain.
- Help prevent skin damage caused by sun, smoke and pollution.
- High antioxidant properties reduce inflammation in the body if you consume them on a regular basis.
- Contain fibre that helps to improve digestive system as well as prevent constipation.
- Low in sodium levels therefore help keeping blood pressure at normal level.
- Help improving short-term memory as well as concentration therefore make them part of your daily diet and improve your brain health.
- Help absorb calcium in the body that help to improve and maintain bone health.
- Regular consumption prevents constipation and improves digestive tract health that helps to maintain healthy weight.
- Contain vitamin C that helps absorb iron in the body.
- Help improving night eye vision and also protect from muscular degeneration due to old age.
- Protect brain cells from damage due to high in antioxidant properties and also lower oxidative stress.
- Contain soluble fibre that help lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) thus improve heart health.
- Help improving lungs function therefore include them in your diet to enjoy health benefits.
Usually Blueberries have no side effects but in case you are taking blood-thinning medicines then seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming them, as they are rich in vitamin K that may cause blood clotting.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Blueberries are available fresh, dried, frozen and also in powder shape in the market. When you buy fresh Blueberries make sure they are grown organically, are firm, fresh, free from moisture, spots and also are within the use by date. You can store them in the refrigerator to keep fresh for longer time.Wash the fresh Blueberries thoroughly before you consume them. Blueberries are perishable therefore eat them within 2 to 3 days to enjoy freshness.