Cardamom powder is used in cooking to boost taste and as a medicine since Ancient times. It is cultivated in various countries in the world due to its health benefits. Cardamom is in use for thousands of years to boost flavour in various dishes. It contains medicinal properties and is in use to treat medical conditions since thousands of years. It has anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Cardamom helps treating bad breath and fight bacteria that causes teeth cavity. Cardamom is full of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Calcium, Iron and Zinc.
Health Benefits of Cardamom
Cardamom contains chemical compounds that prevent from diseases and promote overall health. Its essential oil contains antiseptic properties and also high in Potassium that help to maintain blood pressure within normal range. Cardamom also helps in production of red blood cells. It is very easy to incorporate in your daily diet like you can blend it in smoothies, tea, and sweet dishes. The best way to consume raw Cardamom is to place few pods in mouth, chew them and swallow the extract. Here are some health benefits of consuming Cardamom:
- Prevents inflammation in the body and protects cells from damage.
- Improves digestion and prevents from digestive issues therefore add in your diet to obtain health benefits.
- Treats bad breath and kills bacteria causing bad breath.
- Reduces inflammation in the body and provide relief from infections and joint aches.
- Treats water retention issues therefore help losing weight due to excess water in the body.
- Helps lowering blood pressure if you consume it on a regular basis and also follow a healthy diet plan.
- Fight against bacteria causing cavities in teeth and helps treating sensitive teeth.
- Helps detoxifying your body and strengthen the healing up process of the body.
- Contain Potassium and Sodium that help maintaining water balance in the body.
- Helps treating Hiccups; take few pods, place them in mouth, chew them and swallow the extract.
- Fights depression if you consume a pinch of Cardamom seeds powder in tea on regular basis.
- Improves blood circulation within the lungs and fights against Asthma.
- Treats sore throat and reduces irritation. Take a quarter teaspoon of Cardamom powder, same quantity of Cinnamon powder, a pinch of black pepper powder and a tablespoonful of organic raw honey mix all the ingredients and consume it 3 times a day for better results.
- Prevents blood clots when you consume it on a regular basis.
- Strengthens hair roots and make them shine as well as looking better provided you consume it on a regular basis.
Usually consumption of Cardamom has no side effects but as precautionary measures you must seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming it.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Cardamom is available in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy it make sure it is grown organically, free from moisture, spots and also within the use by date. You can store it at room temperature and also keep it away from sunlight to keep fresh for longer time.