Carom seeds are used as a spice to add flavours to foods as well as a medicine due to its medicinal properties. They are good source of essential oil, which is used to treat various health conditions. Carom seeds contain antibacterial properties and also help to improve digestion, promote weight loss, and food born infections.
It has been cultivated in various countries like the Middle East, China, Egypt and India for thousands of years. It is a member of the Cumin family and it has a distinct flavour as well as having a warm aroma. In the Middle Ages when the spices were rare it was one of the most common spices. Today it is cultivated & grown in many countries and it is quite easy to grow & adapts well in many climates. They grow well in temperature ranging between 15 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius.
Carom seeds are known for its medicinal properties since Ancient times and are used to treat medical conditions. They contain healing properties such as treat infections and fight bacterial diseases. If you consume it raw the taste is bit bitter but you can roast it a little to make a mild taste. Here are the health benefits of Carom seeds:
- Helps to keep your skin free from boils, rashes and pimples if you consume it on a regular basis.
- Carom contains antioxidant properties that stabilize free radicals and help to reduce inflammation.
- Help relieving kidney aches due to kidney stone.
- Improves immunity and helps to reduce weight.
- Fights infectious bacteria and fungi, which help reduce bone illness.
- Cure digestion related issues if you drink tea made from Carom seeds.
- Contain enzymes that help to break down food and aid digestion process in the body.
- Its essential oil helps to kill bacteria that cause infections in the stomach, intestine, colon and urinary tract.
- Carom seeds oil help to prevent wounds from becoming septic.
- Its oil relieves pain and ease stiffness caused due to arthritis.
- Blend few drops of carom essential oil in half a glass of water and swish in mouth to treats toothache.
- Drink Carom tea to Clear blocked nose and treat cold symptoms.
- Soak a tablespoon of Carom seeds overnight and drink water in the morning to treat menstrual disorders.
- Boil a tablespoon of Carom seeds with 2 sticks of Cinnamon then strain and drink to treat flu.
- Blend half a teaspoon of Carom seeds and Ginger powder then take it with half a glass of warm water to treat the lost appetite.
- Help eliminate alcohol craving if you chew half a teaspoon of Carom seeds on daily basis.
If you wish to use Carom essential oil make sure you dilute it first in the water or extra virgin organic Olive oil or organic Coconut oil.
Carom seeds are available in supermarkets all year round. When you buy them try to select the organic ones and of good quality. They are available in whole or ground in powder. It is wise if you buy them whole and grind at home before using in the recipe. You need to store them in an airtight glass jar at a cold and dry place.
Usually consumption of Carom seeds have no side effects but as a precautionary measures you must seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming them.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.