Cinnamon is one of the powerful spices on the planet, which contains medicinal properties as well. It has been used for thousands of years as a spice as well as a medicine, contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and it also protect from heart disease.
It is rich in Manganese and also contains Calcium, Iron, Zinc and Vitamin K. Consume half a teaspoon of cinnamon daily as that will help to reduce blood sugar effectively. It contains anticancer properties and is also helpful in maintaining overall health.
Health benefits of Cinnamon
You can use it in yogurt, tea, coffee or sprinkle on the salads and fruits. You should seek professional medical help before you start consuming it. Here are the health benefits of cinnamon:
- Helps to lower blood pressure and improve overall heart health.
- Helps to control blood sugar and improve sensitivity of insulin in the body.
- Antioxidant properties protect body from free radicals and help to improve immune system.
- Protects skin from infections, irritations and allergies.
- Its essential oil help to reduce allergy reactions, itching, swelling and pain.
- Contains anti-bacterial properties that can be used to preserve food from harmful bacteria.
- Helps to improve oral health like reduce infections; fights tooth decay and bad breath.
- Boosts metabolism that help to burn more calories as a result you can lose weight faster.
- Improves blood flow and blood oxygen level in the body.
- Drink cinnamon tea to cure cold and flu.
- Reduces inflammation in the body therefore provide relief from arthritis pain.
- Helps regulate menstrual cycle and reduces pain during this period.
- Provides relief from gas in the stomach when you consume cinnamon tea with honey.
- Relives acidity, cure indigestion related problems and helps digest food.
- Removes pimples when you mix it with honey and apply directly on the pimples.
- Helps to restore and improve hearing.
Here is one of my favourite recipes of cinnamon tea. Take a cup of hot boiled water, half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a teaspoon of organic honey. Mix all the ingredients well and drink it sip by sip.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
You can buy cinnamon in various forms like cinnamon sticks, in capsules, its powder or its bark oil. When you buy cinnamon make sure it is of good quality, is grown organically, packed responsibly and most importantly it is within the use by date. Make sure to store it in a glass container at room temperature and away from the sunlight to keep it fresh.