Cloves are in use as a spice to add flavours to foods as well as a medicine due to its medicinal properties. Its essential oil help to treat various health conditions like oral health and digestive issues. Cloves are high in antioxidants and also contain anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties therefore they are used in Ayurveda and Chinese medicines to treat blood glucose and certain types of cancers.
Cloves have been cultivated in various countries for Centuries. They have a distinct flavour as well as a warm aroma. Cloves are one of the most expensive spices due to their health benefits and medical uses.
Health Benefits of Cloves
Cloves contain chemical compounds that prevent from diseases and promote oral health. Its essential oil contains antibacterial properties that help to prevent tooth decay as well as treat bad breath. It is very easy to incorporate cloves in your daily diet like you can add 2-3 cloves in your morning tea or blend powder in savoury and sweet dishes. Here are some health benefits of consuming this spice:
- Antioxidant properties help reducing oxidative stress if you consume cloves on a regular basis.
- Prevent inflammation in the body and protect cells from damage.
- Contain anti-cancer properties that restrict cancer growth.
- Improve digestion and prevent from digestive issues therefore add them in your diet to obtain health benefits.
- Promote insulin production in the body and help lowering blood glucose.
- Treat bad breath and kill bacteria causing bad breath.
- Reduce inflammation in the body and provide relief from infections and joint aches.
- Fight against bacteria causing cavities in teeth and help treating sensitive teeth.
- Help detoxifying your body and strengthen the healing up process of the body.
- Contain compounds that help reducing stomach ulcers and protect the stomach lining from damage.
- Help treating respiratory issues like cold, cough and asthma.
- Antioxidant properties improve blood circulation and reduce body temperature.
- Provide relief from headache if you blend 2-3 drops of essential oil in coconut oil and massage gently on forehead.
- Improve skin health and also treat acne.
- Antiseptic properties help in healing minor cuts if you apply fine ground cloves on cuts.
- Protect liver from free radicals and improve immune system to fight against diseases.
Usually consumption of Cloves has no side effects but as precautionary measures you must seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming them.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Cloves are available in whole or in powder shape in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy them make sure they are grown organically, free from moisture, spots and also within the use by date. You can store them at room temperature and also keep them away from sunlight to keep fresh for longer time.