Coconut oil is one of the healthiest foods in the world as it being natural oil and has many health benefits. It contains high saturated fat contents, which differs from the traditional saturated fat found in the animal products. It contains high amounts of medium chain fatty acids which are harder to convert into stored fats in human body and easier to burn off as compared to long chain fatty acids found in animal products. Now more people beginning to use it in household cooking as an alternate to vegetable oil. It may improve insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic. Here are the health benefits of consuming this oil.
- A natural moisturiser so is great for skin.
- Have antioxidant properties that help to stop wrinkles and skin irritation.
- Helps improve digestion and weight management.
- Improves mental performance.
- Great for cooking as it doesn’t break down easily at high temperature.
- Helps to absorb calcium.
- Increases HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol.
- Helps to reduce weight if consumed on regular basis.
- Helps skin heal faster after an injury or infection.
- May help in depression and anxiety.
- Improves gum health and cures tooth decay.
- Prevents and treats dandruff.
How to include in your daily diet
When you buy coconut oil always go for unrefined organic extra virgin cold pressed one rather than the refined version that undergoes various levels of processing, which are not much beneficial for health. Always store this oil in a cool and dark place.
You can use this oil as a food, for body or skin care or as a natural medicine. Here are the uses of this oil:
- It is great for cooking, as it remains stable under high temperatures as compared to other oils.
- Add a teaspoon of it in your morning tea or coffee to boost energy.
- Add into smoothies to get benefit of healthy fat.
- Top on baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- Use as a makeup remover instead of commercial makeup removers.
- Use as a lip balm to nourish your lips.
- Improve your oral health with oil pulling.
- Apply small amount on wood furniture for shiny look and to prevent it from dust.
- Use as a shoe shiner
Just because something has medical properties doesn’t mean we should take it in large quantities. In order to benefit from it make it a small part of your daily diet after consulting your medical professional.
Coconut oil is ideal for cooking as it has a high smoke point between 300 to 350 degrees so I use this oil for my everyday cooking and enjoy the health benefits.