Sore Throat causes irritation and pain in the throat and also may go worse when you swallow food or liquid. There are various causes of Sore Throat that may lead to a cough or infection in the respiratory tract. Some times it clears up itself in few days time but it can be a sign of serious illness.
If you have the symptoms of throat itching or difficulty in swallow food or liquid and change in the voice sound then you will need to seek a professional medical advice.
Prevention is better than cure
Prevention is always better than cure therefore taking some preventive measures before you suffer Sore Throat is a better idea. Here are few steps you can take to prevent yourself from Sore Throat:
- Wash your hands before eating food, after using the toilet, sneezing or coughing.
- Use hand sanitizers in case soap and water isn’t available to wash your hands.
- Keep away from the people who are sick or have suffered from Sore Throat.
- Avoid eating any foods just before you go to bed. It is better if you consume foods 3 hours before bedtime.
- Acid reflux may worsen the Sore Throat therefore avoid eating acidic foods.
- Avoid sharing food with others and the food utensils.
- Clean phones, remote controls and keyboards before using them in the public places or hotel room in case you are travelling.
How to Cure Sore Throat at home
The immune system can heal up the Sore Throat itself but if it prolongs for 2 weeks then you need to see a doctor. Here are some home remedies to cure Sore Throat at home:
- Drink more warm fluids to stay hydrated that will help to get relief from Sore Throat.
- Drink warm water 3 times a day blended with lemon and honey, which is one of the most effective remedies for sore throat.
- Smoking makes it even worse therefore quit smoking to help strengthen the healing up process.
- Consume probiotic foods that will help improving your immune system; as a result your Sore Throat will get better.
- Peppermint helps to get relief from sore throat therefore drink fresh peppermint leaf tea.
- Salt contains antibacterial properties so blend a teaspoon of Himalayan ground salt in a glass of warm water and gargle 3 times a day to reduce throat irritation.
- Honey contains anti-inflammatory properties. Take a tablespoon of organic honey, a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a pinch of black pepper powder; blend all the ingredients in a Luke warm water and drink sip by sip.
- Ginger contains medicinal properties as well therefore grate a small piece of ginger, make a tea then add a teaspoon of organic honey and drink sip by sip 3 times a day to get relief.
- Take half a tablespoon of onion juice, a teaspoon of honey blend both the ingredients and swallow the mixture twice a day to get relief.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.