Ginger has been in use for thousands of years due to its strong medicinal properties. It contains anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It treats digestion related problems and helps to fight cold and flu as well. If you consume ginger on a regular basis it prevents from stroke and heart disease.
It is grown all over the world on a commercial basis. You can grow it at home in the garden as well. It contains Potassium, Magnesium, Copper, Phosphorus, Sodium, Vitamin B-6 and Vitamin C.
You can use fresh ginger root or powder in various dishes like vegetables; soups, meat and curries. Ginger tea is another way of use that helps to treat digestive disorders. Here are some health benefits of consuming ginger:
- Anti-inflammatory affects provide relief from muscular discomfort and swelling.
- A cup of tea made from fresh ginger root provides relief from nausea.
- Improves bone health as well as provide relief joint aches.
- Regulates high sugar level that affect the digestion process in the stomach.
- Helps eliminate toxins from your body and protects from viral infections as well.
- Prevents from menstrual cramps and pains in the body therefore consume ginger tea before the menstrual periods start.
- Helps to improve immune system.
- Lowers the cholesterol level if you consume half a teaspoon of ginger powder 3 times a day after meals.
- Helps reducing fasting blood sugar levels up to 11%.
- Improves blood pressure levels if you add ginger in your daily diet.
- Ginger juice provides relief from cold and sore throat,
- Kills bacteria in the mouth and removes bad breathe.
- Anti-inflammatory properties cure acne very effectively. Apply a little amount of its juice on the affected area and leave it for 5 to 6 minutes then rinse with cold water to cure acne.
- Helps to heal up cuts and wounds the natural way and also prevent forming scars.
- Apply onion and ginger juice in equal quantity on the scalp to improve hair health.
- Blend ginger juice in salad dressing to improve immune system.
- Improves brain health and protects against age related damages in the elderly people.
Here is one of my favourite ways to consume this herb:
Take a cup of hot water, half a teaspoon of fresh ground organic ginger root, 5 to 6 fresh mint leaves. Put both the ingredients in the hot water and cover it with lid, let it infuse for 10 minutes, add a teaspoon of raw organic honey and drink the infused water sip by sip after you have had the meal. Repeat the process twice a day for better results.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
It is available all year round in grocery stores and in the supermarkets. When you buy make sure it is fresh and grown organically. You can store its root at room temperature but away from sunlight or ground in the fridge in an airtight container to keep it fresh for longer time.