Watermelon is a delicious hydrating fruit and is available all the year round but it provides more nutrients if you eat it in the summer season. It is full of nutrients, minerals and vitamins like vitamin A, B6 & C, Phytonutrients, Calcium, Magnesium, Fiber, Protein and large amount of Potassium. It is both fruit and vegetable like pink or red flesh is fruit and rind is a vegetable. The rind is equally beneficial for health. Rind contains all the above vitamins and nutrients including zinc. The seeds also contain nutrients and essential minerals like fatty acids, vitamin B, Zinc, Iron, Phosphorus and Copper. Watermelon is high in antioxidants and contains more antioxidants as compared to tomatoes.
Health benefits of Watermelon
- Improves immune system and also helps body defend against diseases.
- It is an alkaline food and helps bring the pH level to the natural level, which helps to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Contains Potassium that helps to heal kidney disorders like washing out the toxic deposits in the kidney. It also reduces the uric acid in the blood.
- It keep you hydrated due to high water content and is also helpful for cleaning of the kidneys.
- Helps to reduce signs of premature aging like wrinkles and age spots on the skin.
- Prevents heat stroke and help to normalise the body temperature.
- Contains good amount of Magnesium and Potassium that helps to reduce blood pressure. It also prevents hardening the wall of arteries and veins.
- It is an anticancer fruit due to the presence of an impressive level of lycopene in it, which is linked to prevent prostate, breast, colon and lung cancer.
- It is low in calories and a good supplement for the diabetes because of Potassium and Magnesium, which are helpful to regulate the insulin.
- Its rinds are also beneficial for health like help to repair tissues after workout.
- It contains more than 90% water, which keeps you full for long time therefore promotes weight loss.
You can consume watermelon flesh alone, mix it in fruit salads or extract juice. Its rind is full of nutrients therefore you can juice it along with seeds.
In order to improve hair and nail health here is one of my favourite recipes. Take 30 watermelon seeds, grind and boiled them for 15 minutes in one liter of water. Let it cool down and consume 200 ml of this water twice a day for two consecutive days and pause the 3rd day. Repeat this process for 12 weeks but pause the process every 3rd day.
The excess consumption of watermelon may cause diarrhea, indigestion and bloating therefore limit the portion size to one cup a day.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.