Healthy fats are essential for human body to balance weight as well as heart health. Our body needs healthy unsaturated fats to function properly whereas the saturated fats are bad for health. We can obtain unsaturated fats from seafood, vegetable oils, seeds and nuts. The saturated fats are found in animal based products like meat and butter, which deemed unhealthy. The saturated fats remain solid at room temperature therefore avoid eating such fats to improver your health.
The processed foods are full of unhealthy fats therefore you should avoid eating these foods. The fats obtained from the natural foods like grass fed animal meat; avocados, nuts and seed are beneficial for health so add such food in your daily diet to stay healthy.
Health benefits of fats
Eating healthy fats help to lower bad cholesterol and regulate blood sugar therefore incorporate under mentioned fats in your diet to improve your health:
- Coconut Oil is rich in medium chain fatty acids that our body digest in less time as compared to saturated fats. Such fatty acids improve brain functions as well. Always go for organic coconut oil rather than processed ones.
- Olive Oil is one of my favourite fats as it contains antioxidant properties as well as good for heart health. It improves brain function and also help sharp your memory. When you buy olive oil make sure it is organic and extra virgin variety.
- Flax Seeds are high in fibre, low in carbs and also contain healthy fats. These seeds help to loose weight therefore incorporate them in your daily diet to obtain health benefits. You can add them to smoothies, yogurts or in salads.
- Chia Seeds are one of my favourite sources of healthy plant based fat as well. I consume these seeds more often and enjoy the health benefits.
- Walnuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and are good for heart health. You can use them as a snack or add them into salads. They help to lower bad cholesterol if you consume them on a regular basis.
- Avocados are rich in mono saturated fats that help to lower bad cholesterol. They improve your skin health and also boost immune system therefore incorporate them in your daily diet to obtain health benefits.
- Fish contain Omega 3 fatty acids, which is essential for brain functions therefore include fish in your diet to sharp your memory and to improve heart health.
- Eggs are another choice of healthy fat. They keep you full for long time and also help to regulate blood sugar so add them in your diet to obtain health benefits.
- Greek Yogurt is also a source of healthy fat but when you buy Greek yogurt go for plain one rather than flavoured and sweetened varieties.
- Nut Butter is another healthy source of natural fats but make sure such butter is free from added ingredients like vegetable oils and sugar.
- Dark Chocolate contains nutrients and healthy fats, which protect your heart. Dark chocolate helps to control weight therefore add a chunk in your diet to enjoy its benefits.
- Olives are rich in antioxidants and also contain monounsaturated fatty acids that protect heart. You can add them to salads or pizza toppings.
- Pumpkin seeds are good source of omega 3 fatty acids and also help to control blood sugar therefore add them in your diet to get health benefits.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
I want to share one of my favorite recipes of taking healthy fat; take 15 Almonds and a Teaspoon of Chia Seeds, soak them separately overnight. In the morning peel off the almonds and strain off the chia seed water. Put both the ingredients into blender then add a Tablespoon of raw organic honey with a glass of fresh spring water; blend the mixture until it get smooth. A healthy fat drink is ready to consume.