Hiccups are very annoying and embarrassing when they go on for long time. They are caused due to sudden contraction of diaphragm muscles. They last for few minutes and in most cases go away in short period of time. You can cure them at home but if they last for more than 3 hours you need to seek a professional medical help.
Causes of Hiccups
There are various conditions that cause hiccups but here are the main causes that trigger hiccups:
- Drinking alcohol or smoking.
- Eating bigger portions or too much food.
- Drinking binge carbonated beverages.
- Sudden change of temperature in the stomach due to eating or drinking.
- Eating food too quickly and swallow air with food.
- Liver disease or lung disorders.
- Stress, sudden fear or excitement.
- Acid reflux or digestive disorders.
- Eating too many spicy foods.
- Drinking cold fizzy beverages immediately after eating hot foods.
How to cure Hiccups
You can cure Hiccups at home but these remedies wont work for everyone and it depend on the medical conditions as well. Here are some home remedies to cure Hiccups:
- Inhale, hold your breath for 30 seconds and release it slowly.
- Stop drinking fizzy and alcoholic beverages.
- Breath deeply and slowly into a paper bag.
- Drink a glass of water sip by sip in a sitting position.
- Swallow some granulated sugar.
- Take something sour like bite on thin slice of a lemon or taste couple of drops vinegar.
- Ask someone to freight you.
- Bring knees to the chest and hold the posture for one and half minutes.
- Gently compress the chest.
- Take a teaspoon of peanut butter.
- Blend a tablespoon of honey in half a glass of warm water and drink it sip by sip.
- Breath in, block your nose with thumb & index finger then swallow for 6 times and breathe out. Repeat it for 5 to 6 times.
- Drink a glass of water through straw.
- Stretch your arms over your head pull your abs in and breathe deeply several times.
- Panic may worse the situation therefore stay relaxed to get rid of hiccups.
The above home remedies to cure Hiccups are safe but as precautionary measures seek a professional medical advice before you start trying.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
When you buy foods make sure they are grown organically, are fresh and also are within the use by date. You can store fresh foods in the refrigerator to keep them fresh for longer time.Wash the fresh vegetables and fruits thoroughly before you consume them.