Food digestion is a process that starts from the mouth and is completed in the small intestine. It starts when you chew the food and breakdown it into small pieces it then goes into the stomach through a hollow organ. In the stomach it is converted into a fine paste so its nutrients can be absorbed into the body.
Food digests best when it contains more fiber. These foods include fruits & vegetables, beans, whole meal bread and brown rice. In case you are allergic to grains and cereals you can get fiber from fruits and vegetables. Avoid eating fried and fatty foods as they take a long time to digest and cause stomach pain, heartburn and gas trouble.
How to improve digestion
Improving food digestion depends on various factors like kind of food you eat, food combination, raw or cooked food, the gap between meals, the way you eat and most importantly eating time.
Your eating habits can improve your digestion significantly. If you eat foods that digest easily it will help heal your digestive system. Here are few things if you can do to help improve food digestion:
- Always choose good quality, fresh and organic foods. At least 75% of your food portion should include vegetables.
- Include probiotic and fermented foods in your diet as that helps to improve digestion.
- Drink water 45 minutes before eating food as that way your stomach will be empty to process another meal.
- The drinking water temperature should match with your body temperature, which is 37 degrees so avoid cold water as it slows down the digestion process.
- Drink water 2 hours after you have had your meal to improve digestion.
- Eat dinner 3 hours before going to bed, as the food cannot digest properly while you sleep.
- Eating times also play a part in improving digestion. The best eating times are breakfast between 6 AM and 8 AM, lunch between 12 PM and 2PM and dinner between 6 PM and 8 PM.
- Never eat food in a standing position as your stomach needs energy to digest food; you are using your energy that you need while standing. The best pose to eat food is to sit on the floor in a crossed leg position or a kneeling position sitting on the heels, which is called a Diamond Pose.
- Eat food in a peaceful environment and focus on your food rather than thinking about something else, as you could eat extra food even after being full, which will disrupt your digestion process.
- The digestion process starts in the mouth so chew food properly and make a paste before you swallow it as that will improve digestion and help absorb nutrients.
- You can take a few sips of water while eating but avoid drinking more water while eating food as the water slows down the digestion process.
- Avoid eating processed and refined foods as such foods contain preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, processed oils, added sugar & salt that slow down the digestion process.
- Avoid over eating as it causes acid reflux and indigestion.
- Include fresh fruits, leafy green vegetables, fresh juices and whole foods in your daily diet, as they are light on the stomach and full of nutrients.
- Include fresh ginger in your daily diet that will help to improve digestion.
- Drink a couple of glasses of water with fresh squeezed lemon juice early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Stress is one of the reasons causing stomach disorder so get rid of it as soon as you can.
- Detoxify your body often as that will help to reset your digestive system and improve digestion.
- Maintain the right PH level to improve digestion.
- Keep moving; as exercise is the best way to improve your digestion so make it a habit to exercise on a daily basis.
- Include a small amount of healthy fats in your daily diet as that will help to keep digestive tract healthy.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and excessive caffeine as it affects your digestive system.
The human body is designed to heal itself and disease normally occurs when you deprive it of its basic needs. Small changes in your daily diet can create a huge difference towards the improvement of your health therefore start making little changes in your diet and lifestyle to enjoy the health benefits.