Nutmeg is a spice made from the seed of Nutmeg tree and it is in use of humans for hundreds of years due to its medicinal properties. Nutmeg is loaded with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, C, & B-Vitamins; Sodium, Potassium Calcium, Magnesium and Iron. Mainly Nutmeg growers are South Indian and Caribbean countries but in use throughout the world.
Health Benefits of Nutmeg
It is sweet and savoury spice and is very easy to incorporate in your daily diet like you can put in sweet as well as in savoury dishes. Nutmeg helps to lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation in the body and promote overall health in various ways.Here are some health benefits of consuming Nutmeg:
- Reduces inflammation in the body and provide relief from infections and joint aches.
- Improves sleep and also provide relief from stress therefore add it in your diet to get benefits.
- Contains fibre that helps in smooth bowl movement.
- Improves digestion as well as provide relief from gas and constipation therefore add a pinch of it in the soups or stews.
- Helps detoxifying your body and help strengthen the healing up process of your body.
- Provides relief from constipation but avoid consumption in case you have symptoms of Diarrhoea.
- Contains vitamin A that helps improving eyesight.
- Antibacterial properties help removing bad bacteria from the mouth that causes bad breath.
- Anti-inflammatory properties help treating acne and pimples and also have the ability to remove black heads. Take half a teaspoon of Nutmeg powder and same amount of organic honey; blend it well and apply on the skin to improve skin health.
- Promotes blood circulatory health and also reduces blood pressure when you consume it on a regular basis.
- Regular consumption of Nutmeg protects formation and spreading of Cancer Cells in the body.
- Helps removing toxins from liver & kidneys and also improves overall liver health.
- Antioxidant properties help improving heart health and protect from heart diseases.
- Helps treating urinary tract infections and improves kidney health.
- Antibacterial properties help healing up process of bacterial infections.
- Anti-inflammatory properties help reducing the symptoms of Asthma.
- Contains Potassium and Sodium that help maintaining water balance in the body.
- Helps protecting from gastritis if you consume it on a regular basis.
Usually consumption of Nutmeg has no side effects but as precautionary measures you must seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming it.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Nutmeg is available in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy it make sure it is grown organically, free from moisture, spots and also are within the use by date. You can store it in the airtight container to keep it fresh for longer time.