Oatmeal is one of the healthiest foods on earth and is gluten free as well. Oats are a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre. It help to improve digestion, promote weight loss, lower cholesterol and control type-2 blood sugar.
They are cultivated in various countries for thousands of years. Oatmeal contain Manganese, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Copper, Iron and Zinc. They are rich in vitamin B1, B5 & B6 and also contain small amount of Calcium and Potassium. Oats are high in Protein as well as in fibre.
There are various oat verities are available in the market like, whole oats, oat bran, rolled oats, steel cut oats and instant oats. The whole oats are most nutritious among all other verities therefore prefer to consume whole ones.
Health benefits of oats
Oats contain soluble as well as insoluble fibre. The soluble fibre helps to lower cholesterol level and control blood sugar level. The insoluble fibre helps to improve intestinal health and keep bowl movement smooth hence curtail constipation. Here are health benefits of oatmeal:
- Oatmeal keeps you full for a long time therefore helps to lose weight.
- In case you are diagnosed with high cholesterol then you need to add oats in your daily diet preferably in breakfast.
- Contain antioxidants that keep your body free from harmful substances.
- Oats are filling and low in calories thus decrease appetite.
- Contain protein but are naturally gluten free. They may contain wheat contamination therefore read the label to ensure its purity.
- Improve the immune system and enhance the body’s ability to fight harmful bacteria.
- High fibre contents in it improve colon health and reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- It contains slow digesting carbohydrates and protein that keep your body energised throughout the day.
- Sugar in oatmeal releases slower than simple carb such as processed sugary cereals therefore your energy level remains consistent all day along.
Here I want to share one of my favourite breakfast recipes that fulfils all nutritional requirement:
Take half a cup of rolled oats, one-third cup of oat bran, half a cup of frozen blue berries, dash of cinnamon, salt according to taste.
Put 3 to 4 cups of water in a pan then add rolled oats in it, bring the water to boil, simmer it up to 3 minutes, add oat bran, cinnamon & salt and stir the mixture for further 5 minutes or until you get the desired thickness. Turn off the heat and add the blueberries, stir it until the blueberries are melted and enjoy the nutritious breakfast.
You must always need to seek a professional medical advice before making major changes in your diet.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
When you buy oatmeal make sure it is of good quality, is grown organically, packed responsibly and most importantly it is not wheat contaminated.