Olive oil contains healthy monounsaturated fat and it is natural oil extracted from the olives. Olives are grown in various countries around the world but the major production come from the Mediterranean countries. Olive’s history can be traced back to thousands of years.
Olive oil is rich source of Vitamin E, K, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids as well as it contain large amount of plant derived antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. It lowers the risk of cardiovascular problems if you consume organic cold pressed extra virgin verity. If you consume this oil on a regular basis it may prevent from stroke as well. One of the main benefits of this oil is it does not cause weight gain.
Health benefits of Olive oil
Olive oil is one of the healthiest edible oils due to low amount of saturated fats in it. This oil is very beneficial to improve heart health. It contains various health benefits; some of them are hereunder:
- Contains large amount of antioxidants that help fight serious diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory properties reduce inflammation in the body that cause arthritis and other chronic diseases.
- Lowers the risk of developing stroke and prevent from heart disease.
- Lowers blood pressure and help reducing bad cholesterol level in the body. You can consume 2-table spoons everyday that will help to lower the risk of developing heart disease.
- Contains good fats that provide energy to your body and also help to lose weight without compromising on calorie intake.
- Beneficial for insulin sensitivity and also protects from the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Reduces oxidative damage due to free radicals that may cause cancer in future.
- Helps reducing joint aches and swelling caused due to inflammation in the body.
- Antibacterial properties kill bacteria that may cause stomach ulcers.
- Contains vitamin E that helps to boost metabolism mainly for elderly people.
- Keeps bowl movement smooth and help to clean digestive tract and improve digestion as well.
- Beneficial for the skin and also slows down the ageing process.
- Increases the elasticity of artery walls that help to protect from various heart diseases.
- Regular consumption of olive oil help fighting the Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lowers the risks of mental illness therefore add it in your diet to get health benefits.
- Contains zero sugar and carbs therefore it is one of the good diets for diabetes patients.
- Contains good fat that help regulate thyroid glands and balance your hormones.
Usually consumption of olive oil is safe but as precautionary measures seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming it.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
When you buy olive oil make sure it is organic, extra virgin, cold pressed and free from chemicals and also is within the use by date. You can store it at home at room temperature away from sunlight to keep it fresh for longer time.