Depression is a condition where a person experiences loss of interest, shows sadness, inability of concentration and loss of appetite. It can happen to anybody and at any age. If you suffer from depression try to stay connected with the people who love you and keep you happy. It is our social responsibility as well to help and support the people who are experiencing this mental illness.
Causes of depression
There are many factors that contribute to causing someone to become depressed some of them are mentioned hereunder:
- Stressful events like sudden death of loved ones.
- Loss of a job.
- Criticism by others.
- Negative thoughts about yourself and about the world.
- Fearfulness of the future.
- Certain medical conditions.
- Stress and sadness.
- Family history.
If someone constantly thinks in these ways it will make them sad and lead to depression.
- Loss of interest and pleasure in normal hobbies.
- Feeling sad and hopeless.
- Reduced or increased activity level.
- Lack of motivation.
- Loss of interest in family and friends.
- Finding it hard to concentrate and make decisions.
- Loss of memory
- Suicidal thoughts
- Feeling tired
- Unexplained aches and pains.
- Sleep disorders like sleeping too less or for longer time.
- Changes in your body weight like weight gain or loss.
We experience the above symptoms in our life on daily basis but if these symptoms persist for a long time then it is important to seek professional medical help.
How to overcome from this condition
The treatment of depression depends on the individual’s health conditions as it differs from case to case. Making changes in lifestyle, eating healthy diet, stress management, physical & social activities and sleeping habits are really effective ways to overcome depression. Here are some guidelines to treat this condition the natural way:
- Start thinking positive and get rid of negative thoughts.
- Darkness can put stress on your brain so expose yourself to sunlight as much as possible as that will help boost your mood.
- Learn and practice yoga every day early in the morning in a peaceful environment.
- Exercise is really good to improve your mood and feel pleasure.
- Eat healthy diet and never skip a meal.
- Include coconut oil and omega-3 fatty acids in your diet.
- Set goals for yourself on a daily basis as when you achieve the goal you will feel pleasure.
- Get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every day.
- Motivate yourself to do something new.
- Take part in exciting activities like bungee jumping.
- Take part in volunteering activities that will make you feel pleasure.
- Quit smoking and avoid drinking alcohol as these worsen the condition.
- Eat pumpkin seeds as they contain zinc, healthy fats and magnesium, which can help lighten up your mood.
Depression is a serious illness and there is no doubt that a healthy diet and positive thoughts can be effective in treating depression but if your symptoms are severe then professional medical help is the best option.