Onions are one of the healthiest foods on earth and they contain medicinal properties as well. They have been cultivated in various countries for thousands of years. The main producers of onions are United States, China, Turkey and India. They are good source of vitamin C, Potassium and Sulphuric compounds as well as high in antioxidants and amino acids. They contain anticancer properties and are helpful in maintaining overall health. They help to reduce stroke, bladder infection and cardiovascular disease.
Onions are low in calories and contain no fat or cholesterol. They help body to make new healthy cells. In the ancient times people were using them as a preventive medicine to cure cough and cold.
There are various onion verities available in the market like, white; yellow, red and shallots but red ones are the most nutritious among all other verities therefore choose to consume red onions.
Health benefits of onions
You can eat onions raw or cooked but raw ones contain more organic sulphur compounds therefore prefer to eat them raw. Peel them off as little as possible to get more health benefits. Always chop fresh onion before you eat raw or for cooking to get optimum health benefits. Here are the health benefits of onions however some of them are very surprising:
- Contain Sulphur that help to reduce inflammation in the body and provide relief from asthma.
- Antioxidant properties protect body from free radicals and help to improve immune system.
- Provide relief from cold, cough and asthma.
- Help to reduce allergy reactions, itching and sneezing.
- Eating a couple of servings a day help to reduce the risk of oral and prostate cancer.
- Contain soluble fibre that promote good digestion and promote good bacteria growth in the intestine.
- Contain Chromium and sulphur, which help to increase insulin production and regulate blood sugar.
- Regular consumption of onions improves bone density.
- If honeybee stung on the body apply onion juice on the affected area to get relief from pain and burning sensation.
- Green tops of onions are rich in Vitamin A therefore use them as well to get health benefits.
- Essential oil from onions contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Contain natural prebiotics, which help to ease constipation and eliminate parasites.
- Apply onion juice mixed with salt and pepper to the scalp for improving hair health. This remedy is effective for the people who worried due to hair loss.
- Regular consumption of onions help to cure joint aches therefore add them in your diet on daily basis.
- Help to reduce stress and improve your sleep.
- Prevent clot forming in the blood if you consume them on a regular basis.
- Enhance brain health and improve memory.
Slicing onion can make you cry because they produce a sulphur-based gas, which reacts with water in your eyes therefore move your face further away from onions. Although onions are good for health but their smell can be a problem for hands and breath. You can eat few leaves of parsley or a slice of an apple to get rid of bad breath. After slicing onions wash your hands with cold water or rub them with salt and rinse with water and soap to remove bad smell.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
When you buy onions make sure they are of good quality, are grown organically, packed responsibly and most importantly they are within the use by date. Store them separate from other ambient vegetables and at room temperature in a well-ventilated area away from the sunlight to keep them fresh.