Almonds are native to the Middle East but they are now grown in other countries as well. Major portion of world supply is produced in the USA these days. Almonds contain healthy fats, proteins, vitamin E, fiber and magnesium.
Almonds reduce hunger and promote weight loss. They help in lowering blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Full of nutrients, which are essential for maintaining good health.
- Good source of antioxidants that protect our cells from oxidative damage.
- Contain vitamin E, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Low in carbohydrate and contain more fiber and healthy fat that helps to control type 2 blood sugar.
- Contain magnesium that helps to lower the blood pressure level.
- They reduce inflammation that helps to promote brain health.
- Help in maintaining dental and bone health. Almonds prevent tooth decay and reduce the risk of bone fracture.
- Are rich in fiber that helps to prevent constipation.
You can eat almonds in a number of ways for example on salads, cereals, and yogurts, into milk shakes or topping on desserts.
In order to get maximum health benefits it is recommended to consume raw instead of roasted or sugar coated ones.
Here I want to share one of my favorite almond drink recipes, which is really healthy and tasty too. This drink boosts energy and keeps you active throughout the day.
Ingredients for single serving:
- 12 Almonds
- 1 Tea spoon of Poppy seeds
- 1 Table spoon of ground Fennel seeds
- A pinch of green Cardamom powder
- A pinch of ground black pepper powder
- Sugar to taste
- Soak the Almonds and Poppy seeds overnight separately.
- Take a glass of water and add 1 tablespoon of ground Fennel seeds, leave it over night to infuse.
- Grind the Almonds and Poppy seeds finely.
- Strain the Fennel seeds infused water.
- Put all the ingredients including the infused water, the ground almond and poppy, Cardamom powder, black pepper powder and sugar into blender;
- Add some ice cubes and enjoy the drink.
Note: Green Cardamom and black pepper are used to help break down the protein as it takes long time to absorb on its own.