Peanuts are native to the South America but they are now grown in other countries as well. Major producers of Peanuts are China, India and USA. Peanuts contain fats, proteins and Omega-6 fatty acids.
Peanuts are good source of plant protein and low in carbs, which make a good food choice for the people with Type-2 diabetes. They are rich in minerals like Potassium, Copper, Phosphorus, Magnesium and Manganese and also rich source of Vitamin E. Peanuts can be used to extract oil or make butter.
Health benefits of Peanuts
You can eat Peanuts in a number of ways for example sprinkle on salads, cereals, curries or topping on desserts.
In order to obtain maximum health benefits it is recommended to consume dry roasted ones instead of roasted in salt or sugar coated ones. Here are the health benefits of consuming these nuts:
- Full of nutrients, which are essential for maintaining good health.
- Good source of antioxidants that protect our cells from oxidative damage.
- Contain Magnesium, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Low in carbohydrate and contain more fiber and healthy fat that helps to control Type-2 diabetes.
- Contain magnesium that helps to lower the blood pressure level.
- Reduce inflammation that helps to promote brain health.
- Contain protein and fiber that help to maintain weight.
- Help reducing bad cholesterol if you consume them on a regular basis.
- Contain Iron that helps to keep energized and active.
- Prevent forming Gallstones.
- Help boosting memory as well as prevent from depression.
- Contain Vitamin-E that helps to promote healthy skin.
Usually consumption of Peanuts has no side effects but as precautionary measures you must seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming them.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Peanuts are available raw or roasted in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy them make sure they are grown organically, free from moisture, spots and also within the use by date. You can store them at room temperature and also keep them away from sunlight to maintain good quality for longer time.