Pumpkin seeds are edible and are rich in vitamins & minerals. They provide various health benefits like help improving blood pressure; regulate blood sugar and also improve sleep. The seeds help to treat prostate problems in men if consumed on a regular basis. They are good natural source of Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, Iron and Calcium.
These seeds are flat, light green in colour and oval shaped. They are not only rich in vitamins and minerals but also contain good unsaturated fat. They are rich in fibre therefore help to keep digestive system healthy and also provide relief from constipation. The Pumpkins are grown in various countries for thousands of years.
Health benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
You can consume these seeds as a snack, blend them in breakfast cereals or sprinkle them on salads to obtain health benefits. Here are the health benefits of these seeds:
- Contains phytochemicals that help to improve bladder functions and also protect from infections.
- High amount of magnesium provide relief from stress and make you feel better.
- Regulate blood sugar so add them in your diet to lower type 2 diabetes.
- Contain Vitamin A that helps to improve eyesight therefore add them in your diet.
- Omega-3 fatty acid provides good fat to your body that helps to improve good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol.
- Contains powerful antioxidants that remove toxins from the body.
- Helps beat oxidative stress and also protect from certain type of cancers.
- Protects brain cells from damage as well as improve the brain performance.
- Helps to repair body and also fasten the healing process of wounds.
- Contain amino acids that help to promote good mood and improve feelings.
- Help regulate blood pressure and also stabilise the blood sugar level.
- Antioxidant properties help reduce inflammation in the body and also protect from diseases.
- Prevent accumulation of uric acid in the body and also prevent forming stone in the kidney.
- Help eliminate parasites from the body therefore add them in your diet to maintain and improve digestive tract.
- Helps reduce acid level in the stomach and balance pH level in the body.
Usually consumption of Pumpkin seeds is safe but as precautionary measures seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming them. These seeds can cause stomach pain or bloating if you consume them in large quantities therefore limit your consumption and avoid going binge.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Pumpkin seeds are available in grocery stores and in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy them make sure they are free from dark spots and are within the use by date. You can store them at home in an airtight glass container away from sunlight at room temperature to keep them fresh for longer time.