Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is found in the blood. Also found in some foods and is made in the body by the liver. It is needed to make vitamin in the body but too much cholesterol in the body affects the blood circulatory track as a result it causes heart disease.
There are two forms of cholesterol; they are called LDL (low density lipoprotein) and HDL (high density lipoprotein). LDL is called bad cholesterol, which is unhealthy whereas HDL is classed as good cholesterol, which is healthy and protective for heart.
Main causes of high LDL
- Unhealthy diet
Ways to reduce bad LDL
Eating excessive amounts of saturated fats and processed foods leads to raising LDL. These foods are:
- Goose fat
- Meat that contains fat and all products made with fatty meat
- Full fat dairy products like Milk, Cheese and Cream
- Coconut cream and palm oil
Protection and recovery
Include plant-based foods in your daily diet as these help to lower the bad cholesterol. These foods include fruits, vegetables, barley, oats, nuts, seeds, pulses and beans.
Include whole foods in your daily diet that are good for your digestive system, which actively lower the LDL. Here are foods that lower LDL:
- Oat bran
- Bread made with 60% oat bran
- Chick peas, kidney beans, white beans, black eye beans, split peas
- Whole lentils
- Whole nuts like almonds, pistachios, walnuts, cashew nuts and peanuts. Please ensure the nuts are unsalted and these are better eaten raw
- Citrus fruits preferably oranges
- Vegetables that are rich in soluble fiber like sweet potatoes, okra, aborigine or eggplant, bottle gourd
- Eat foods that contain less saturated fat like olives, sunflower seeds, corn and rapeseeds.
Reduce the intake of saturated fats and foods that contain dietary cholesterol. All fruits and vegetables are low in saturated fat.
In order to get best results eat oat bran for breakfast. At least half portion of your lunch and dinner should consist of green leafy salads and fruits. Olive oil actively lowers LDL so use organic extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing.
[amazon_link asins=’B004JBRV3A’ template=’ProductAd’ store=’careawcr-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’0afe307a-4a96-11e7-bbc9-75ea605df60c’]