Sage is one of the best herbs that contain various health benefits like reduce inflammation, improve digestion and brain function, strengthen the bones and also regulate the blood sugar. It has been used for thousands of years as herb and to treat the medical conditions.
Sage plant is similar to rosemary plant and you can use it as herb in various dishes, make a tea or use its essential oil. You can grow it at home in a pod or in the yard.
Health benefits of Sage
The plant contains various Vitamins and minerals like Calcium Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin A, B6 and C. Here are the health benefits of this herb:
- Improves digestive system therefore drink sage tea to treat your digestive problems.
- Treats gum disease and tooth sensitivity. In order to improve oral health gargle with strong sage infused water.
- Effectively lowers the blood sugar when you use it on a regular basis.
- Improves brain functions and concentration therefore add this herb in your diet.
- Sage tea is useful to treat fever therefore drink sage tea if you have got symptoms of fever.
- Promotes hair growth if you use it with combination of rosemary.
- Lowers bad cholesterol if you consume it on a regular basis therefore add in your daily diet to obtain health benefits.
- Treats sore throat and cough when you gargle with sage infused water.
- Antioxidant properties help to reduce inflammation in the body as well as provide relief from swelling.
- Sage essential oil contains antibacterial properties therefore applies this oil to get relief from bacterial infections.
- Anti-inflammatory properties help to recover from joint aches as well as provide relief from arthritis.
- Helps to relax muscles and soothe muscle cramps.
- Provides relief from respiratory diseases like asthma and cough.
Usually consumption of sage is safe but as precautionary measures seek a professional medical advice before you start consuming it.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
It is available in grocery stores and in the supermarkets all year round. When you buy it make sure it is grown organically. The fresh leaves are better than the dried ones therefore prefer to go for fresh ones. You can store them at home in an airtight glass container to keep it fresh for longer time.