Sore throat is an irritation, scratching or aching in the throat that some times causes pain when you swallow food or even drink fluid. The most common causes are cold, dry weather, viral infections and smoking. When you suffer from a sore throat you may have the symptoms of a runny nose, sneezing, cough, body ache, headache or watery eyes.
Prevention is better than cure
- Wear warm or extra clothes to keep yourself warm in the winter season.
- Wash your hands before eating food, after using the toilet, sneezing or coughing.
- Use hand sanitizers in case soap and water isn’t available to wash your hands.
- Keep away from the people who are sick or have suffered from sore throat.
- Avoid eating any foods just before you go to bed. It is better if you consume foods 3 hours before bedtime.
- Acid reflux may worsen the sore throat therefore avoid eating acidic foods.
- Avoid sharing food with others and the food utensils.
- Clean phones, remote controls and keyboards before using them in the public places or hotel room in case you are travelling.
Natural remedies to treat Sore throat
If a virus causes a sore throat it usually gets better within 3 to 6 days on its own. You can treat your sore throat at home but in case the symptoms go worse you should seek professional medical help. Here are some home remedies to treat sore throat:
- Take half a teaspoon of ground Himalayan salt, blend it in half a glass of warm water and gargle 3 times a day.
- Blend a teaspoon of raw organic honey and half a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in a cup of hot water and drink it sip by sip.
- Consume hot drinks like tea or coffee and also you can add a teaspoon of raw organic honey instead adding sugar in these drinks.
- Garlic contain antibacterial properties therefore add garlic in your daily diet to cure throat.
- Avoid eating hard foods and consume soups or soft foods instead.
- Wheatgrass juice kills bacteria and also provides pain relief so keep this juice in your mouth for 3 to 5 minutes and spit.
- Rest as much as you can and also avoid talking too much to rest the throat.
- Drink extra cold liquids that will help to reduce the inflammation.
- Fenugreek seeds relieve pain and kill bacteria so drink fenugreek tea to get relief.
- Liquorice root is also contains medicinal properties therefore keep a small piece in your mouth that will provide relief to the throat.
Here is one of my favourite sore throat treating recipes. Take a cup of hot water, half a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of Himalayan ground salt, mix all the ingredients well and gargle 3 times a day for better results.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.