Strawberries are one of the healthiest and popular foods on the planet. They are heart shaped and come in different flavor, size and texture. Strawberries are low in calories, contain fiber and also rich in vitamin C & K as well as great source of Potassium and Manganese.
Strawberries contain medicinal properties like help regulate blood sugar, provide relief from blood pressure, treat digestive disorders as well as improve eyesight. They also contain antioxidant properties therefore help improve immune system.
Health benefits of Strawberries
You can eat strawberries raw or add them to fruit salads and custards. Its essence is also used in shakes; ice cream, medicines and hair care products. You can make strawberry leaves tea, eat them raw or cooked. Here are the health benefits of strawberries:
- Help skin hydrated and remove dead skin cells as well as prevent acne.
- Contain potassium that helps to maintain and regulate blood pressure.
- Contain Vitamin C content that prevent from various types of cancers therefore add them in your diet to obtain health benefits.
- Improve immune system and help treating cold and cough.
- Antioxidant properties help removing toxins from the body and reduce arthritis pain.
- Contain fat burning hormones thus help reducing appetite and ultimately promote weight loss.
- Help reducing inflammation in the body if you consume them on a regular basis.
- Prevent forming blood clots that are the root cause of stroke.
- Contain fibre that helps to improve digestive system as well as prevent constipation.
- Low glycaemic index lowers the risk of developing type-2 diabetes.
- Prevent hair fall, dandruff and improve overall hair health.
- Retain calcium in the body that help to improve bone health.
- Chew strawberry sugar free gum that will help to whiten your teeth.
- Place slice of strawberry on your eyelids for 10 to 15 minutes to treat puffy eyes.
- Help treating some allergies like watery eyes and runny nose.
- Protect brain cells from damage due to high in antioxidant properties.
- Contain soluble fibre that help lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) thus improve heart health.
- Curtail reproduction of bacteria and also eliminate parasites from digestion tract.
Usually strawberries have no side effects but in case you are allergic to pollen or have water retention problem then consult your GP before you start consuming them.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
When you buy strawberries make sure they are grown organically, are firm, fresh, free from spots and also are within the use by date. You can store them in the refrigerator to keep them fresh for longer time.Wash the strawberries thoroughly before you consume them. Strawberries are perishable therefore eat them within 2 to 3 days to enjoy freshness.