Vitamin C is known as an ascorbic acid, which has various health benefits such as help with wound healing, treat cold, maintain blood vessels, improve & maintain bones and skin health. Poor diet and smoking lead to deficiency of Vitamin C therefore improver your diet and quit smoking to maintain its level in the body. Your body needs more Vitamin C in case of pregnancy and poor diet intake. People addicted to drugs or alcohol may also face deficiency of such an important vitamin. Therefore always take healthy and balanced diet to maintain and improve your health.
You wont be able to store this Vitamin in your body therefore you need to eat Vitamin C rich foods on a daily basis. You can fulfil all Vitamin C requirements from the balanced daily diet. Apart from the supplements you can obtain Vitamin C from fresh fruits and vegetables. Good sources of Vitamin C are Kiwi fruit, Blackcurrants, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, Strawberries, Oranges, Grapes, Raspberries and Peppers mainly red & green
The daily requirement of Vitamin C for the people aged from 18 to 64 is 40mg. The excessive intake may lead to diarrhoea or stomach pain therefore keep it within the limit to stay healthy. Here are the health benefits:
- Improves immune system and prevents from cough and cold.
- Helps absorb iron in the body and strengthens body’s resistance power against the diseases.
- Improves blood vessels and lowers blood pressure.
- Minimises the risk of various types of cancers and also helps to cure them.
- Helps treating joint aches.
- Improves brain health and also boost your mood.
- Helps healing up wounds and infections in the body therefore add such an important Vitamin in your daily diet.
- Helps curing and reversing type-2 diabetes.
- Protects against the harmful effects of pollution and also from respiratory diseases like asthma.
- Reduces inflammation in the body and also helps to treat oxidative stress.
- Protects from the risk of urinary tract infection.
- Prevents soreness of muscles as a result of exercise.
- Helps improving blood circulation in the body.
- Improves overall gum health as well as helps treating bleeding gums.
- Helps treating sunburns as well as reduces forming wrinkles.
- Boosts energy in the body and also helps in weight management.
- Helps improving hair growth and also fights dandruff.
Just because some foods have medicinal properties doesn’t mean that we should start consuming them in large quantities. In order to get medical benefits from it, make it a small part of your daily diet.
Vitamin C rich fresh fruits and vegetables are available all year round in grocery stores and in supermarkets. When you buy fresh fruits and vegetables make sure they are grown organically, hand picked, free from bruises & spots, look fresh, as well as they are within the use by date. You can store them in the refrigerator or at room temperature but away from sunlight and use them when they are fresh and within the use by date.