Yogurt is made by the bacterial fermentation of milk; we can make it with whole or skimmed milk. When it is made with skimmed milk is called fat free and if made with whole milk is called full fat.
It is loaded with nutrients like calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B12. Probiotics that are friendly bacteria are present in the digestive system, which help to boost immune system.
The unsweetened and plain yogurt has many health benefits whereas the commercial one containing added sugar and some other ingredients, which are not good for your health.
- Helps in weight management.
- Contains vitamin B12 that is beneficial for heart health.
- Contains calcium that is required for teeth and bone health.
- Helps regulate blood pressure.
- High in protein that supports metabolism and helpful for weight control.
- Contains live bacteria that helps digestive system.
- Reduces symptoms of belly bloating and constipation.
- Contains vitamin and minerals that prevent certain illnesses.
- Regular consumption of yogurt may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Helps to increase good cholesterol.
- Regular consumption of yogurt protects you from common cold.
- Contains lactic acid that protects your gums.
Always check the label before you buy yogurt as there are many types sold in the market that contain added sugar and some other ingredients, which may contribute to certain health conditions. Excess sugar consumption is also associated with diabetes and obesity.
You need to buy plain and unsweetened variety as they contain minimum added ingredients. Full fat yogurt contains more calories but it is still the healthier choice but you should stick to the recommended portion/calories.
Yogurt may not be suitable for people who are allergic to dairy products, as it will cause adverse affects like abdominal pain or diarrhea.
Ways to include in your diet
You can eat it plain or add some fruits like strawberries, blue berries or raspberries. Here are some other ways to add yogurt in your daily diet:
- Make a layer of yogurt on top of your cereal or granola bowl
- Blend yogurt with fruit of your choice and make a smoothie
- You can use it for salad dressing or as a dip
Here I want to share one of my favorite smoothie recipes that I drink every day in the morning:
- 3 tablespoon of plain set live yogurt
- 3 medium size fresh strawberries
- A handful of frozen raspberries
- A handful of frozen blue berries
- 3 teaspoon of oat bran
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground black pepper
Put all the ingredients into blender; add half a glass of spring water and blend it until you get a smooth mixture. Enjoy a delicious, full of nutrients and healthy smoothie.